Serpentine, also known as Verde Antique, is one such uncommon natural stone that people are less aware of or haven’t thought of its vast application. The stone known for its robustness, abrasion resistance, less porosity, and ease of being cut into shapes is now becoming popular with the architects, interior designers, builders and artists.
- Comprehensive strength similar to granite
- High resistance to alkaline and acid chemical attack
- High resistance to freezing and atmospheric agents
- Remarkable heat resistance
- Low water absorption
All of these characteristics make Serpentine a very unique type of stone which also enables it to get various finishes such as bush hammered, sandblasted, Lappato, etc. These aesthetic properties also make it highly durable and premium finish stone which is ideal for using it at places with rough usage.
Some good examples where it can be applied are:
- Swimming pool: Rough or semi polished serpentine can be used for making the periphery of the pool.
- Outdoor kitchen: Due to its remarkable resistance to heat and citrus spills it is an excellent option for making the outdoor kitchen platforms or entire kitchen structure.
- Landscaping: Cobbles, planters, paving, garden pagodas all can be made with bush hammered or sandblasted form of serpentine.
- Outdoor seating: Outdoor chairs, tables, benches, etc. can be made with different variety of the stone since they have great resistance to all weather conditions.
- Driveways/Pathways: A driveway is subject to constant weathering from exposure to the sun and rain, and to erosion due to frequent traffic. Serpentine’s chemical properties make it harder and less porous than granite and other natural stones to make it most apt for your driveways.
- Staircases: It can be used simply as a feature wall along the staircase. It can also be used in making the staircase to give that industrial look to your home
- Roofs: Serpentine’s natural split roofing tiles are good option for making roofs. Thanks to its exceptional durability and longevity.
Other than these, various other places where it can be a very good replacement of stones like granite or limestone are cooking surfaces, facade cladding of a building or on boundary walls, terrace etc.
Its application is not only limited to exteriors. It can form a stunning backsplash wall of bathrooms, staircases and other areas. Spas can be given a very serene and earthy look by applying serpentine in various ways like wall cladding in shower areas or otherwise, flooring, bath tubs etc.
Serpentine also has the ability to resist the transfer of heat making it a valuable insulator. Fibrous varieties of serpentine such as chrysotile have been used to make asbestos which has many industrial uses. Some variety of serpentine can also be carved into beautiful stone sculptures, bowls, vases, legendary figures, deities, etc. since it is relatively soft to cut and carves easily.
So whether you are remodeling or building your home/office, serpentine will make a beautiful addition to it and will increase the resale value of your property.